Sometimes I get really one-tracked minded when it comes to Rilakkuma, and I forget San-X has a boatload of other characters they promote.
Recently, my sister and I discovered this character while cruising the San-X Net Shop blog:
This character is Tonkatsu (とんかつ) – the fried pork cutlet. His character description states that he’s that last leftover piece of tonkatsu; he’s 1% meat, 99% fat – and is always left behind because of his fat content.
In September 2012, this guy was introduced as part of a whole series of amorphous characters called Sumikko Gurashi (すみっこぐらし), which (very) roughly translates to “beings living in corners” (like of a house). I suppose I can imagine leftover crumbs of tonkatsu making their way into corners of a room.
In Sumikko Gurashi, Tonkatsu is joined by:
- Shirokuma (しろくま): a runaway polar bear who doesn’t like the cold
- Penguin? (“ぺんぎん？): an insecure green penguin (but maybe a kappa who lost its bowl?) questioning his identity
- Neko (ねこ): a shy cat who likes to scratch
- Tapioca (たぴおか): pearls of leftover boba
- Zassou (ざっそう): an ambitious weed who dreams of being a bouquet
- Hokori (ほこり): a happy corner-inhabiting dust particle
- Furoshiki (ふろしき): Shirokuma’s luggage cloth
- Nisetsumuri (にせつむり): a slug who pretends to be a snail by wearing a shell
What a team! I wonder how they came to be friends…